Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Go time

Okay, going to keep this quick as I have a full day ahead and we are leaving tomorrow at 6am. Oh, and we have a showing tonight at 6pm. 6pm!!! This means that I won't even bring my suitcases up until 7pm. I don't need much, but I like to bring everything. Always have.

The Griswalds. It happened to me.

When I was little we would go on family vacations in the summer. Just load up the station wagon and go, or so it seemed to me. As a child even just driving a few hours north to Wisconsin felt like a big adventure and I would always bring my dolls or stuffed animals of choice at the time. I never had a favorite- I made up families for, say, my teddy bears, and then they would all have to come along.




Okay, I never had this many, but you get the idea. We had a garage sale once and we sold my Care Bear. I told you- no attachment issues here. $2? See ya! Though I remember being quite dismayed when I discovered that my brother and sister had not sold their Care Bears. What Had I DONE??!



I never really liked the look of the Cabbage Patch Kids. I had one with glasses, like myself, and I liked her, but I didn't understand why some had that halo of curls framing their faces. Not very flattering. Preemies were a different story. They smelled like baby powder and were so tiny and cute. I love me my little bald babies. Always have.


I also remember the grocery bag (or two) full of my parents books. If and when my parents ever read, or even leafed through, a fraction of these books I have no idea. Though I suppose they were not bringing them with the intention of reading them all but instead having the option to read them. Options, people. We like options.

A world before the internet and Kindles and Amazon.

A world before cell phones and smart phones.

I think about this often- how my lifetime, my generation, will have lived through one of the greatest technological revolutions this world has ever seen. The greatest? I suppose it is, until the next one comes around...

I sometimes wonder if my childhood would be more similar to my grandmother's, in this sense, than my own sons will be to mine.

Am I over-thinking this?

Okay, off to the races.

Xox,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment