Sunday, June 26, 2011

Paper planes



About a year ago, my sister called all excited, asking if I had the last issue of W magazine. I did.

"Well," she explained, "look for the spread with all of the paper flowers- Eloise Danch MADE those!"

What!?

I found the article. I swoon.

Flowers by Eloise. Photograph by BRUCE WEBBER (!) for W, May 2010


Another shot from that W article. Photo by Bruce Webber.

Eloise was my sister's friend growing up. Petite and pretty, I will always remember being infatuated with:

a. her red hair

Strawberry Shortcake, a fellow read head. I have particularly fond memories of her movies.

b. her name

I loved the name Eloise. I still love the name Eloise. The Plaza.


Her nanny!

I last saw Eloise when I first moved back to Chicago almost exactly 8 years ago, at a house party of a friend of a friend from college.

Well, Miss Eloise has been quite busy since then. She moved to New York to attend the Fashion Institute of Technology, and graduated in 2007 with a Master of Arts in Illustration. At some point she started making these exquisite flowers and dresses out of paper. She also does illustrations and prop design and product design, to name a few. But I might just let her tell you all about that in a new little JBD Q&A I am cooking up in the weeks ahead. In the meantime, lets take a peak at what my dear, long lost childhood friend (of my sister) has been up to (all of these images and many more can be found at her website, here)

The crafting queen... and Martha. This is exactly how I remember Eloise, though slightly curlier...

(Eloise went on Martha's Birthday show in 2009)



A paper flower wig made for Macy's Flower Show.

Eat your heart out, Princess Beatrice.



Christmas Paper Flower Wreath

I would treasure this and take it out year after year



Her work for the Macy's Mother's Day Campaign


A project she did for Farrow and Ball to introduce their new wallpaper line. What I love so much about F&B is that all of their paints are intended as wall colors, and their pale colors are beautiful without being too pastel-y or childish. Behind the flowers you can see a display with all of their colors. I tried to take a photo for this post but they wouldn't let me. No photos in the Mart. Rules are rules.


Paper Flower Ball Chandelier

I'll take two!

Lady Dulcinea, 2008

A dress she made for my happy place- Anthropologie.


Floral Alphabet M

What a wonderful gift this would be. I love the idea of sending a paper bouquet to a friend with a new baby. My great aunt sent us this card when Pierce was born and I was so enchanted with it that it sat on his dresser until the dreaded showings began.


And... what a brilliant idea for a wedding bouquet! Forget drying the flowers- this little puppy will last forever. Architect Richard Meier's daughter, Ana, did this at her wedding last October. I don't know who did these flowers but you can see her bouquet here.

I am so happy for Eloise and for all of her success, and so inspired by her creative vision. It is always nice to learn that people from your past have gone on to do great things and I look forward to following her career and seeing what she does next.

Oh and did I mention she is engaged? Pretty sure I can guess who will be doing those flowers...

Xox,
Jenny

1 comment:

  1. Wow. She is amazing! Those flowers are amazing! Love this post! xo Samantha

    ReplyDelete