Wednesday, June 1, 2011

2.18.11 Welcome


Hello! Well, after many months of contemplating a blog I think it is time. Today is the one year anniversary of my last day of work before my baby boy was born unexpectedly 6 1/2 weeks early. This last year has been one of, if not the, best year of my life- full of many challenges, of course, but a wonderful and welcome change from the last 9 years of working in the design business, 10-14 hours a day during the week, always stressing about an upcoming installation, disgruntled client, equally stressed boss and the moments crisis. I loved it, I really did, so much so in fact that I decided to start my own little design company in October. I love my playgroups and music and swim classes but wanted a creative outlet. And this was all part of my master plan anyway, right? Right.

But the real reason I have chosen to take this leap today- no- tonight- is because of the absolute creative bliss I achieved in the last 24 hours. My son's birthday is next week, Tuesday, and we are hosting a number of our friends from our various moms groups and playgroups in our apartment. I want it to be nice- and look nice. Of course from a decor standpoint but we are planning to put it on the market soon so all of my usual decorative things and books are put away. I want it to be special- I feel very reverent about this date- without questions the biggest, most emotional, terrifying and amazing day of my life and am so humbly grateful that it all turned out okay.

But I digress- I am talking party- I want balloons, streamers, festive, cheerful, 1st birthday- happy! One of the things I got hung up on was finding a cute banner that read Happy Birthday. The ones I found on line and at party stores were not what I had in mind- covered in cartoon characters or metallic shimmery glitter. No-no- we are talking classy, old school banner. Simple, one would think. So when I found myself in the felt aisle at Michael's and then at the iron-on letter section opting for two packs of the larger white flocked letters I couldn't resist. My husband had class last night and I sat watching movies while cutting the pendants from the felt, arranging the color order, ironing on the letters and glueing them onto the ribbon holding them all together. And then with the scraps I cut smaller triangles to make a mini banner. And then- THEN- with the scraps of that I realized when I put them together I could make a pinwheel that I can hang from our ceiling fan- so cheerful- so happy!

I loved every step of the process and was reminded of being young and spending all of my allowance and babysitting money at Woolworth's on paint pans and glitter and beads and ribbons and sketch books and paints. The thrill and anticipation of new projects and hours I would spend pouring over them.

So, here I am! I will try to stick to design but suspect my new found childhood love of crafting will play a big role as well as anything child, food, drink or travel related I feel compelled to share.

Xoxo,
Jenny Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment