Monday, June 6, 2011

love love love


LOVE by Robert Indiana, 1966

Growing up we had this poster in our family room. I remember looking at it as a child, loving the color blocking and the crooked "O" that makes it so iconic. My mother never liked pillows or cocktail napkins printed with sweet or funny slogans but my grandmother had quite a few. I am in the middle. It can get a little cute- or crass, or both. And yet, I fell quite hard when I saw this pillow last fall on One Kings Lane, the online shopping mecca for discounted art and decorative items.

Love Pillow by Rani Arabella

Not only does it have a nostalgic connection for me but it would look great on our dark navy sofa in front of these pillows I picked up from Anthropologie a few years ago


Pierce likes pulling off the pom poms when we aren't looking; that just gives them character, no?

So I bought one. For this sofa I envision of a collection of pillows ranging in formality and size and texture. Now I have three pillows and I have my eyes on a few more- but again, for another time, my friends...

One of the things that empowered me to click on "purchase" is the deep regret I have for not buying these Jonathan Adler chairs when I had the chance. It was in 2006 when I was planning my wedding, and I was obsessed with them. Our apartment was filled to the roof after I had moved into Jack's bachelor pad and the thought of bringing in one more piece of furniture, let alone two, was out of the questions. My sister even offered to buy them for me as a wedding present. Little did I know that one day I would log on to check in on my chairs only to find them gone! Alas. Someday, maybe...

Love Chair by Jonathan Adler


So great in red too!


A quick note about One Kings Lane. I attended an OKL event recently and met the co-founder, Alison Pincus, a petite woman with long brown wavy hair and pretty brown eyes who lives in San Francisco. Lovely indeed, but I confess I was expecting someone older and blonder, in a twin set. One Kings Lane is like the preppy cousin of the more risque Gilt Groupe, with its elephant and topiary logo in clubby white and green, it appeals to the inner WASP in all of us. So I asked her what One King's Lane was and she started to explain the site...

"No, no" I said, "what is the address- One Kings Lane?" The address of her childhood home, a colonial town house in Charleston? Or perhaps the plush tree-lined street where she lives now with her brood of children and golden retriever, somewhere in Connecticut? The Nantucket saltbox she rents every summer with her roommates from tennis camp?

"Oh", she said, "I just made it up."

And the dog on the sites homepage?? Her co-founder's.

Brilliant!

I was amused at how much we, or I, assume to know.

One Kings Lane's homepage photo. I did not catch the dogs name. At least he wasn't a rental.

The next night I was curling up with my Vanity Fair when I found those same pretty eyes staring back at me. Turns out my not-so-desperate housewife is married to the internet mogul who started a company called Zygna that makes those seemingly strange but undeniably popular (and profitable) Facebook games like Farmville. Oh, and she does have infant twin daughters, so I was not totally off the mark with that.

Xoxo,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment