Saturday, June 4, 2011

Here's looking at you

About a month ago I was shopping for a client at Vintage Pine, a wonderful source for unique antiques and gifts organized by different vendors' booths. I came across the lithograph below. I thought enough of it to take a photo before moving along to find a number of 'perfect' pieces my client promptly rejected the following day. Alas.


"La Rose Rouge" by Rene Gruau

But I digress. That night lying in bed this image kept reappearing in my mind- like a song you hear for the first time that keeps coming back to you. Anyone who has lived with me knows that I will happily listen to the same song, on repeat, for days on end. But I digress again.

I kept thinking of her face- was she as chic and mysterious as I remembered her? I had to find out. I returned a few days later and from across the store she caught my eye. As I approached I knew there was no going back, she would be mine. At a price. It turns out that 'she' is an original lithograph by the renowned fashion illustrator Rene Gruau and it would take a bit of justifying to figure out how I could bring her home. Keep in mind- this was not days after the royal wedding and less then a week before the derby. I was so inspired- that hat- those flowers- her glove.

When I eventually went back to buy the lithograph they assured me that I had 48 hours to return it, if need be. What relief as I was worried that I might find her slightly bitchy or patronizing once I brought her home. Also, when I had shown the image to my brother he asked "couldn't you just paint that"? I suppose I could attempt to recreate it but that is not the point- I was not out looking for a woman in a hat- she found me.

To my utter delight I discovered just the opposite when she arrived on our landing where she now hangs. Not only am I even more infatuated with her, but every time I walk by her it is like she is winking at me- or nodding approvingly. Worth every penny!



Here is a detail of another lithograph by the same artist, her silhouette, his eye, (the waiter!) and of course- her BOW- oh wait- bows, on her collar and in her hair. So chic. And still available at Vintage Pine...

I must have something for hats- I was recently going through our storage locker and came across this album cover I use to hang on my wall in college. How amazing is the color, let alone the illustration? Do they make soundtrack covers like this anymore? Must find a place for you in our new home. Oh Audrey...


And another fabulous poster for the play...



And lastly, as our place is on the market all photographs and books are tucked away in storage and we are living like minimalists (and closet hoarders) with a fraction of our belongings. The one thing I could not give up was our bulletin board. I have become much better at keeping it up to date, throwing away invites after the party and so. It was beginning to look a little cluttered and I was scanning it to see what I could file or throw away (Mother's day card- file. Memorial day invite- toss.) when I suddenly spied these eyes peaking out at me. I picked up this postcard at a coffee shop called The Third Coast that displays the work of local artists at least five years ago. I use to go there every morning on my way to work- always running late, I would actually call in my order and they would have my extra foamy latte waiting for me when I arrived- oh the little things. I loved this photograph the first time I saw it- who are these people? Two couples? Or perhaps the man staring at the camera is the brother of the two women. How the woman to the far right is sweet and the woman in the middle a little less so, and the way her suitor is looking at her! And their costume- whatever is the occasion? I was amused at how much it reminds me of my new lithograph. While I do love the hats, I think it is the women behind them that intrigue me the most.


Photograph by Ana Miyares. Her work can be seen at anamiyares.com though it looks like she is doing mostly commercial work these days. Always nice to see the face behind the lens...

Xoxo,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment