Thursday, June 2, 2011

Mari had a little Mekko

Yesterday I was browsing through Crate and Barrel and passed through the new Marimekko collection. Marimekko has collaborated with Crate and Barrel since the 60s but I feel like this is a bigger deal- perhaps a bigger campaign to introduce the line? Whatever the reason, my ears always perk up when I hear or see Marimekko, a Finnish textile company that was popular in the 60s and 70s for their bright and bold graphic and cheeky prints. I grew up with Marimekko, my brother had the cars and trucks bedding and I think even a matching sleeping bag. I always loved this pattern and thought of it when helping a friend with her son's room a few years back.

So you can only imagine my delight passing through C&B when I discovered this Bo Boo (cars and trucks patterns official name, I gather) place setting. While tempted, I resisted snatching up a set, or 6- at $69 a set it is a bit of an investment. It is porcelain, which I love, but is not very practical for us now as my son like to throw everything on the floor and we have not a stitch of storage space left in our cabinets. But some day they will be mine, believe you me. As I was standing over the plates, crest fallen knowing they would not be coming home with me, I wondered aloud if they had linens in this pattern. I looked up to see the display of paper cocktail napkins- in the Bo Boo Patterns and others so fun and fresh I just had to share (and at $4.95 a set you can be sure I will be passing them out all summer)... Enjoy!

I was thinking on the way home that this would also be such a cute baby gift and would look great displayed until it can be put to use. Funny that when I arrived I found this announcement in the mail- clearly I am not the only one loving car prints. Had I known, I may have taken a little more care opening the envelope! My friend found these cards at Vivi's in Palm Beach...


And the napkins- may have to stockpile these for my son's next eight birthday parties...

How great is this pattern- I love that the elephant is wearing blue cowboy boots and the zebra is in tall black boots- like they are going for a night on the town, just the girls
the place setting is so fun too, the pattern is called Karkuteillä and is also available as a bib and wall art


I was instantly drawn to this retro floral pattern, it reminds me of my favorite robe from Anthropologie



And, of course, I am always a sucker for color...


Okay, my sister graciously offered to take my son to the park and I need to get to work. Happy Friday!

Xoxo,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment