Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Scoop

Last night I was flipping through New York magazine and saw a little blurb about a new gelato restaurant that is opening in Greenwhich village called Amorino. They are based in Italy and have shops throughout Europe, but this is their first store stateside. One of the things that sets them apart is their signature way of presenting the ice cream- like a flower with petals. Not only does it look pretty but it allows you to try up to 22 flavor in one cone! I like to sample all the flavors so this would be perfect for me. And I love it when people take pride and care in the presentation of their product.




And I love ice cream. But I confess I am a bit of a soft serve connoisseur. I think there was a rumor in college that it was all my friends and I ate. This was not the case, and when this was relayed to me I had a fleeting moment of offense followed by amusement that anyone was paying attention. Right?

But back to soft serve...

I like the way it looks and prefer the texture and the fact that it is seemingly healthier, though we know it is all bad for us. Or is it? One of my favorites, my standard go-to-never-fail is a McDonald's ice cream cone. Not only can you drive-through but it is delicious and consistent. Trust me. A few years ago I was going to the suburbs for a client on a daily basis and would always pick one up on the way home.

My other favorite source for fro-yo is the Forty Carrots Cafe at Bloomingdales. I discovered this after Pierce was born and I started going to their children's section on the sixth floor. While I am usually inclined toward vanilla and chocolate, their berry flavors are the best...
I may be a self-proclaimed expert, but I am no snob when it comes to my soft serve and there is nothing better on a hot summer afternoon.

That's why I eat it every day.

Xoxo,
Jenny


1 comment:

  1. Jenny, this is your mother. I just tried to sign up to follow your blog. But they told me I had to sign in using an account I had already created.

    Umm.

    ReplyDelete