Monday, June 6, 2011

Mobile me

My husband, Jack, and I have a shared love of mobiles. I have always been enchanted by the work of Alexander Calder and gave Jack this mobile for Christmas a few years ago.
No, this is not a Calder (wouldn't that be nice!) but by an artist called Davevan.

A few years ago I was in New York for work and Jack came and met me for the weekend. That Saturday morning we went to an exhibit called 'Calder's Circus' at the Whitney followed by a wonderful lunch at Le Charlot and a row boat ride in Central Park.

Fast forward a year later when I was pregnant with our son, Pierce, and planning his nursery. I loved this time and spent hours trying to find the right pieces for his room. While I played with the idea of a theme for his room (cowboy, nautical...) I ended up finding a roll of light blue seersucker and used that on the crib skirt, curtains, and chair with white bedding and furniture and punches of color. But more on that later....

Here is the first of three mobiles we now have hanging in his room. I love all of the colors and it is constantly in motion, very playful in his very serene room:


This balloon mobile is from a company called Flensted and available at www.flensted-mobiles.com. Good luck picking just one, I want them all!

The second mobile that now hang's over my son's changing table was a gift from my sister.


It is from a company called Blabla and its soft colors look so pretty next to the seersucker curtains. I love this image from there website and had to include... that sweet little hand!


See all of their mobiles and toys at Blablakids.com

Lastly, I found this most charming mobile on Amazon. Why, with two mobiles already, was I searching for mobiles on Amazon? I have no idea. But could not resist when I found this one- it reminds me of the mobiles I had as a child. It hangs from the ceiling just to the side of Pierce's crib and he loves it.

Beetles and Bees Wooden Ceiling Mobile by Handelshaus G. Gollnest & F.R. Kiesel KG


Here is my brother as a baby- with two older sisters he sometimes ended up in pink pajamas....

Last fall there was a exhibition at the Museum of Contemporary Art called Alexander Calder and Contemporary Art: Form, Balance and Joy. One of the rooms displayed Calder's mobiles and the room across the hall displayed works by current artists he influenced. I was forbidden from taking a photo with my phone in the Calder room but was able to sneak this pic in the room with the contemporary pieces.


Pierce loved seeing all of the sculptures, here is Jack holding him up for a closer look. After walking through the exhibit we went to Puck's for lunch and then headed home.

Every night since then Jack picks Pierce up and lets him touch each mobile in our house, very gently, before going to bed.

Xoxo,
Jenny

2 comments:

  1. This is my favorite yet! It's lovely and intimate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the mobiles and all the pics of your family!

    ReplyDelete