Sunday, June 19, 2011

Stepford lives

I know I know- there are so many things wrong about this, but why, I ask, does it feel so right? I, for one, wish I always looked this together. I'll take the blue ensemble, third one in on the right. You're thinking what I'm thinking: time to invest in some gloves.

On Saturday I was cleaning up our kitchen, knowing we might have friends stopping by that night. I had a big meeting on Friday which meant our living room was covered in fabric and wallpaper samples and tear-sheets of furniture and lighting. I knew I wasn't going to put them away- still needed to make sense of everything from said meeting, but I could, at least, take them off the floor and straighten up the kitchen for our guests. I don't like having anything on our counters save for a roll of paper towels and our coffee maker but the bottle rack was out and there were clean dishes in the drying rack.
I avoided buying a bottle rack for so long but eventually bit the bullet and picked up this darling little patch of grass by Boon. They have since come out with the larger 'lawn' version which would be even better. I love that it is low and easy to store during showings. Available at Amazon or Land of Nod or any retailers listed on Boon's website.


Sophie!

The bigger lawn. Alas, the grass is always greener.


I guess this version of the lawn was shown at some trade show last fall but I didn't see it on their website yet- coming soon, perhaps?

Image via Housebeautiful.com.
Um- do you think these people have babies? If so, I think we have found the perfect hostess gift.

Image via housebeautiful.com.
That grass would even work well in this kitchen, which is more vintage-y and my style. When it comes to practical children's gear, my theory is: disappear!

The only part of cleaning up the kitchen I enjoy is when I get to use my Caldrea counter spray. I discovered this at my sister-in-law's a few years ago and then went on the hunt, eventually finding a bottle under our sink! I guess a family friend sent these out as Christmas gifts.
As I was spraying my spray and loving its basil-blue-sage scent I knew I had to share it with the world. And by the world I mean all of you. Available at Soap.com.

I was thinking about this on our walk Sunday morning and was reminded of the scene from the Stepford Wives (c. 1975) when the woman goes on and on about a cleaning product called Easy-Off- she claims that if Easy-Off were to contact her about appearing in a commercial, she would do it. "And you know what?" she says, "I would do it for free."

This movie is so hysterical/creepy and the best part is that scene at the end in the supermarket. You can watch it here but I would wait if you haven't seen the movie yet. If that is the case, run, don't walk- and get it. Do they even make movies like this anymore? If so, please tell me!

Monday monday- another dark and stormy start to the week. 'Till tomorrow!

Xxo,
Jenny







No comments:

Post a Comment