Monday, June 27, 2011

Cherry bomb

Dalmare's Produce truck

Driving through Chicago I have often seen these trucks and they always make me smile. If my company ever had a truck... okay, if my company ever had a truck and started selling produce, I would want it to look like this.

Image via Seeking Michigan

It also appeals to my now six-year affinity for cherries. My husband's family spends the summer in Michigan north of Traverse City, the Cherry Capital of the World, oh yes. On our drive up in the summer we pass through a number of cherry orchards and you can always tell the ripeness of the cherries by the color of the trees that turn from pink to red at the peak of the season, or so I am told.


It is easy to become a little cherry-centric. What an aesthetically appealing fruit.

I gave one of these apron to my other-in-law a few summers ago and then the child's version to our little niece for Christmas. I have learned the hard way that aprons are absolutely necessary if you have any intention of helping with the dishes or cooking. I can't imagine ever buying a cute apron for myself but love to give them as gifts. Jessie Steele makes these wonderfully retro-stepford-wife-y versions that almost make me want to cook and clean. Almost.


The Lady's Apron, Anthropologie, $32.00

This would work in almost any kitchen and is so flattering.

Okay, the bows and flowers might send this a little over the edge, but all I see is the red, white and blue.

While the cherry-themed boys clothes are few and far between there is an abundence of adorable little girls outfit adorned with this cheery fruit. I found these on bestdressedchild.com



Dress by Luli and Me, $41.99
Anavini, $68


Oh my gosh. I spoke too soon. Just digging around and came across a photo of this darling dress that I recognize so clearly from a photo of Jack's cousins as little girls from many years ago. It turns out that this darling dress is made by one woman and sold exclusively through The Women's Exchange in St. Louis, one of few remaining retailers of its kind. Read this wonderful article on the cherry dress and the Women's Exchange from the NY Times here.

The original cherry dress.

Image via nytimes.com

Yes, that is Jackie O. And yes, John is wearing his own little cherry outfit. Stop it.


Boy's button-on cherry suit, $78, available here at The Women's Exchange

Pierce would look so cute in this. I always thought I would want to mix up the colors and put him in yellow and green but he has big blue eyes and I just love him in blue. He could.. would... will... wear this with these adorable little shoes I found that look like the ones my brother wore as a little boy.


Footmates, Seraph, $47, available here.

It is all about the ankle support.

We are all going up to Michigan at the end of the week and I cannot wait to buy bags of sweet cherries on the side of the road.

Lots to do before then!

Xoxo,
Jenny


No comments:

Post a Comment