Sunday, June 12, 2011

Welcome home, Red Planet


'Red Planet' by Sarah Giannobile, 2011

The pink in this painting is one of my favorite colors- it is almost peachy, the color of cooked salmon, or a baby's flushed cheek, and much warmer than so many pale pinks out there. I love the touches of red and the cool blue accents and the shapes that remind me of beach balls and kites and candy- all good things, but as a whole, not too sweet...


Well, the art fair was a success. It was overcast but not rainy and I found one little painting that I just had to have- despite the fact that we are not buying anything because our place is on the market, our storage unit is filled to the gills and, well, i'm boring myself... no one ever NEEDS art, we all know that. Luckly, we do have a bit of wall space and I think this might fill the void, and heck, maybe even sell the place. My friend and I walked through the fair after a fun lunch and leaving our sons, quite unhappy, in a crib and a pack 'n play, going down for their afternoon naps.

There was a large and diverse selection of artists and mediums. Not the abundance of photography that there was last year, which I think is a good thing. I love photography but booth after booth can get a little boring.

I found my painting, above, at the booth of artist Sarah Giannobile. She was so nice and was happy to let me take photographs in her booth. No attitude here. I did not buy the painting on the spot but took her card and continued through the fair. That night, I looked up her website and saw a number of other paintings I would have also loved to take home and read a little blurb about her work and inspirations that confirmed in my mind that we had to have the painting. You can visit her website at www.giannobile.com.


The artist, in an orange parka. Does anyone use the word parka anymore? Apparently I do.


Love this one too!



My friend liked this one the most

Another painting from her website. Her work is not all this colorful but I am more drawn to those that are, of course.

Some of her work reminded me of the painting I saw in this month's House Beautiful Tablescape section. I love this photo, especially the colors Todd Klein, the designer, chose for the paper lanterns. I might have worried that the red would be too strong against that light minty green (one of my absolute favorite colors) but it isn't at all, and off set with the white lanterns the whole thing looks so festive and chic. I called Todd's office this morning and they told me that the painting in the background was done by Joe Dudley Downing (1925-2007), an American artist who moved to France and is one of only three American artists with work displayed in the Louvre.

Image from House Beautiful, June 2011

The best part is that those lanterns only cost $2.30 each at Lunabazaar.com, you should go to this site if for no other reason then to see all of the lantern shapes and colors they have- amazing!

Joe Dudley Downing. How could I NOT include this photo? I love him.

This is that same house by Todd Klein. The chairs! The pillows! The rug!! What a happy room this is. Need to find that mag, I am sure I have it here somewhere...

This morning I was looking for fabric for a client and came across this one on the Lulu DK website, www.luludk.com, and just had to share:


Colors, in Sangria

Colors, in Apple Martini

I love LuluDK and have followed the work of its founder, Lulu deKwiatkowski, since she burst on the design scene in the late 90's. I am especially inspired by her amazing book, LULU, that is filled with her handmade collages. My copy is in storage but you can snatch this little puppy up on Amazon for only $70.


If I were to judge a book by its cover, I would say this book was pretty awesome

A sampling from her book
And look- my new favorite color (or close)...


Lastly, I just discovered that she has dishes available at Neiman Marcus and Horchow!


Okay, so to sum everything up: In my own little fantasy world I would be having dinner with my new artist friend Sarah, Joe Dudley- dressed exactly as he is in the above photo, Lulu deKwaitkowski and Todd Klein, eating off of her plates under the Chinese lanterns at his clients wonderful home. Okay, fine, you can come too. I think we would all get along famously, no?

Xoxo,
Jenny Brown

1 comment:

  1. I definitely want to come to that dinner party also. Love Sarah's work. I will check out her website.

    ReplyDelete