Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sporty spice

...does he ever!

I have a treasured collection Leon Levin shirts that I inherited from my grandmother around 1999. While one might think to pitch or donate these simple cotton shirts, I started wearing them and was immediately hooked on their great shape and fun colors and patterns. Over time, they have become so incredibly soft.
I suspect I am not their target market

When I was living in San Francisco out of college I tried to get into a Color Theory course at Berkley and was put on the wait list. I went to the first class in a bright blue skirt with a yellow Leon Levin shirt and a red v-neck sweater- the primary colors... get it? Well, I am not sure my teacher got it either but I did get into the class.
I supplemented my collection a while back with a few of these from a local pro shop. You can buy online here.

I like to wear a lot of color, if not all of the same color then color blocking with a green top and a blue skirt or pink top and purple skirt.


This is a classic LL pattern- though it appears they only make the patterns on the short sleeved version of the shirt now. I prefer the long sleeve version as modeled above.

When I was young, my mom and her friends used to work out to Jane Fonda videos. Why wear an old t-shirt when you can wear a purple and pink striped leotard?

A few years ago I had horrible insomnia so I started running. I have never been very athletic but ran occassionally throughout high school and college. I prefer to get my exercise exploring the city on foot. But walking wouldn't cut it this time. I needed to run- I needed the pain and exhaustion of running and that moment when you feel that you can't go on but you do- and you are finally out of your head and in your body- forging ahead and forgetting, if temporarily, everything that is weighing so heavily on you. Even just a mile in the morning made such a difference in the way I felt.





Nike Tempo Shorts

Soon I was running almost every day and realized I needed to beef up my athletic wardrobe. I had always liked these shorts, and was delighted to find a starburst-colored variety of them when I finally made it to the Sports Authority.




I discovered quickly that the rainbow of tank tops I already had complimented my new shorts quite nicely. While trying to figure out what to wear to work everyday can be a hassle, picking which top was going to go with which shorts was a little highlight to my morning. Sometimes I went pink shorts, pink top. Other times, yellow top with orange shorts.



While a number of retailers make a similar top, my favorite is from J.Crew, it washes well and does not get stiff like some other brands. They even call it the Favorite Tank, if I had any doubt.

On cool days, I layer these with one of my beloved shirts- they have held up quite well considering how much I wear them, and somehow this printed floral one goes with everything.
Photo by my sister, Annie, and Hipstamatic

These days I don't run very often, Pierce and I take long walks in the morning instead and I still love picking out my colors.

Xoxo,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment