Monday, June 20, 2011

Nuts and bolts

I just came across this book and had to have it. Clearly I love the colorful title but the real selling point is that it was written by Virginia Rowans aka Edward Everett Tanner III aka PATRICK DENNIS, one of my favorite authors, who wrote the fantastic Auntie Mame series. These are the most wonderful books. It too, can be yours, here on Alibris.com....

Okay, so Jack and I had no plans on Saturday. This could turn out one of two ways: the first would be we put Pierce down, cook dinner and watch America's Most Wanted, one of Jack's favorite shows that he never sees because we are usually out. I would flip through magazines. We would go to sleep and wake up refreshed and rested. How lovely does that sound? So that is the first way.

Then there is the second way... I knew my friend was going to the afternoon Cubs game and told her to stop by after (our apartment is about a 10 minute walk from Wrigley). We had also mentioned to Jack's sister and brother-in-law that they should come over for a drink after their dinner plans. They did, with another couple. Throw in another friend that showed up for good measure. Impromptu party. Fun!

The great thing about the drop-in guest is that there are no expectations. I like entertaining but have not been that great about it since Pierce was born. Actually, I really prefer to go out. I always have, just ask my mother. There is a famous story in our family of me in preschool literally shoving my friend out of our front door saying "go home!" But with a child it is often so much easier just to have friends here and I try and keep the following on hand in case of unexpected guests:


My sister-in-law is a brilliant chef and a Cheez-It connoisseur. She buys multiple boxes at a time in case she gets a bad batch, which she attributes to something eaten by the cows, who made the milk that made the cheese. She even makes a macaroni and cheese with a Cheez-It crust. I told you- brilliant.

I remember reading years ago in this wonderful book Sister about the life of designer Sister Parish that she too, served Cheez-Its to her guests at her summer home in Dark Harbor, Maine. Or maybe it was Cheese Nips. Same idea. Two words: taste test!


Available here at Amazon.com or even better, here for only $1.06!

Another staple for casual entertaining. This is a very important distinction, as one must always have fancy mixed nuts at the bar at any planned cocktail party. No peanuts, please.

Whatever you do- do not buy 'lightly salted'. This may lead you to think "oh, they have salt, even better" but no, they have less salt and in this household you will be sent back to the store. I learned that the hard way early on. (Okay- not really, but still). It would be helpful if the label read "Heavily salted" to clear up any confusion.



For the smaller set, I will serve only Mum-Mums. They are these little rice crackers and they kind of dissolve in the baby's mouth. The key here is that they don't crumble- they become sticky little crusts but this is nothing if you have ever seen what a teething biscuit does to a child, his clothes and the floor beneath them. Pierce has had exactly one teething biscuit. Available at diapers.com.

Orrefors Orion Mini Bowl

A dear family friend has been spoiling my siblings and me with gifts such as this bowl, for years. Available at Orrefors for $135.

One of the perks of all of these snack-y foods is using my collection of crystal and glass nut bowls. I think they help to compensate for the fact that I buy my hors d'oeuvres at Walgreen's. I am not proud. But no shame here either, people.
Baccarat Mille Nuits Bowl, small. $125.
Click here for more info.

Pretty little sparkly bowl
Steuben Nautilus Bowl
Available here

A perfect beach house hostess gift. Though, at $650, might be a better thank you gift for the friends that takes you sailing around the Bahamas, or, even better, lend you their boat.



William Yeoward Willow Bowl

I love all of his crystal


My mother-in-law gave me this cute bowl from MacKenzie Child's for Christmas- charming!


Small Tilt Bowl from Crate and Barrel available here for only $12.95.

I especially love this little guy, as long as it is sitting directly in front of me...

In addition to all of these bowls, I am sure you can a similar item for a couple of dollars at a flee market or local thrift store. Throw in a jar of dry roast from the 7-11 and you are welcome here any time.

Xox,
Jenny






1 comment:

  1. There is nothing I love more than an impromptu {after} dinner party! Great choices! {we have fans of mum mums here} xo Samantha

    ReplyDelete