Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Sign language


Today is Jack's birthday! It is also the birthday of my father-in-law and a little boy who lives a few cottages down from us here in Michigan. Funny how that happens, though, I am told, it is not that random. At least according to a statistics class Jack took awhile back.

I love birthdays. My parents always had parties for us when we were young and we still have a special dinner when it rolls around. You might remember the enthusiasm with which I prepared for young Pierce's first party.

I also have a fascination with astrology. I know, I know. My mom says I should never bring this up, but it's true. Now I don't read my horoscope every day or avoid certain activities if the planets are not aligned, but I do like reading about the personalities attributed to the signs and the compatibilities between them.

I became slightly obsessed with Aries during my pregnancy. Pierce was due on April 8 and I would read about the relationship between the Capricorn parent (me) and the Aries child, as if to give myself a little head start on my relationship with my firstborn.

Then he was born 6.5 weeks early. Not only was he not an Aries, he was practically an Aquarius. He is, in fact, a Pisces, and for whatever reason I have never looked up our compatibility. I suppose I don't have to, his little personality comes through more and more every day.

Jack is a Cancer and their symbol is the Crab. I read once that Cancers sometimes need "time alone in their little shell"- it's true and I have yet to meet a Cancer who would disagree.


I bought this Smathers and Branson belt for Jack's birthday a few years ago. Available here.

So, you can just imagine my delight when I saw these pillows at Jonathan Adler:


Zodiac pillows, 12"L x 9"H, $98 here. (Also available as vinyl Key Fobs, for $48)

Remember when I told you about our sofa pillows? How great would it be to have all of our signs! This might be a tad excessive on one sofa, especially if we have more children, but I am picturing a mix of pillows à la Diane Vreeland's Billy Baldwin designed living room:


I checked, she's a Leo. It works.

I sent a pic of the JA display to Lilly and she told me that she sometimes gives the pillows as baby gifts. What a great idea! Apparently, she was not the only one thinking this as Serena and Lilly recently came out with their own version of the pillows, too.


20" Pillows, $88 here, Also available as shams.

Okay, much to do in preparation for tonight's festivities and no sitter all day. My little wing man and I need to get to work.

Happy Birthday, Bird!

xox,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment