Monday, July 11, 2011

Monday Monday

Okay, work and play are distracting me today but I don't want to lose momentum.

Working in the design industry for nine years taught me a lot about being an employee, employer and the high cost of turn-around.

But boy does that sound heavy for an already cumbersome day. So lets just talk about my little 'Monday' theory. It all starts with the Great New Employee.

Working in design is quite an appealing job to anyone that doesn't know better*. It is seeped in style and wealth and the offices are chic and the staff attractive. This should come as no surprise.

But then you realize the work- the work! And the stress, and the numbers and bills and details and mistakes and cover-ups that always reveal themselves eventually. Oh the drama.

And while you may be led to believe otherwise- we are not saving lives here, people. (I have had to remind myself of that many times.)

So suddenly the Great New Employee is looking a little less fresh faced and is a little less chatty (but really- who has time to talk? We have installations and orders to send and London closes in an hour!)

And then, suddenly, Monday.

And the Great New Employee is nowhere to be seen.

Finally the receptionist comes in and tells the staff meeting that so-and-so is sick.

Okay, okay. No cause for alarm. The Great New Employee, who has actually been flubbing quite a few things, might actually be sick.

Tuesday rolls around, he/she is back, and the week continues as usual.

Until next Monday. Again, some other excuse.

It is around this time that we could start placing bets as to whether the GNE would even make it through the month, let alone the week. You learn early on not to get too attached....

Blogging is different. I have no boss, I'm doing this very much on my own, and I am so pleased when I hear that anyone is enjoying it

And yet, I know what happens when someone skips Monday, so I thought I would share my theory with you, and this hilarious dish I saw at Jack's cousin's house this weekend:



*as for working in design, for those of us who do "know better" but do it anyway, we do so because there is nothing else we could ever imagine doing

except maybe blogging...

Xox,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment