Friday, July 15, 2011

I want candy


The famous Fishtown tug.
My friend named her bulldog 'Tug,' in its honor

Yay for Friday! Jack is on his way up and depending on what time he arrives we are going to try and make a quick run into Leland--or--more specifically, Fishtown.



On my first trip to Michigan, Jack took me to this historic little spot just a few steps downhill from Leland's bustling downtown.

There is a restaurant right on the water called The Cove where I usually order the Whitefish Caesar Salad and some sort of spiked lemonade.


Then we head to the Dam Candy Store where I stock up on my favorites for the rest of the trip- or, since I am here for such an extended stay--the rest of the weekend. On my first trip I spotted a local (and international) celebrity sitting on this bench eating ice cream with his family. I'll give you one clue:

(Let me be your Gwyneth)

I love candy and have a very strong sweet tooth. When I was young we would go to the candy store in our town, Sweet's.

How I still love thee

I would get German Peaches and Gummy Worms and maybe Sour Patch Kids (though they kind of messed up the whole bag), and definitely those delicious Raspberries and those little round cherries. Any candy connoisseur, like myself, knows that the best brand most widely available is Haribo.

Harder than your traditional gummi bears, these chewy little guys never disappoint.

I think these might be my favorite. Or second only to:


I remember fantasizing as a child about having a briefcase full of these gummy peaches- though we called them German Peaches, not sure why. And a briefcase? Yes, a briefcase. Some may wish for a briefcase full of cash. This girl? Candy.

And how could I talk candy without a brief mention of Dylan's Candy Bar, the go-to for all of your sugary needs in NYC. You can read about Ms. Lauren's recent wedding in the latest Vogue though I confess I was hoping to see more photos of her French-Country-meets-Candyland theme. Someday... but for now, a quick peak at her flagship store that is conveniently located near the D&D Building (decoration and design- but you knew that).


While Dylan choose to wed at her parents (Ralph and Ricky- but you knew that, too) country estate in Bedford, New York, these two love birds made the ultimate sacrifice- er- commitment, at the store itself.

Karen Cunningham for The New York Times

Remember this from the Times Vows column a few years ago?


And look! Dylan also has her own Maclaren, available on her website here. While I don't love logos, this one is okay as it is so playful and fun.


I wouldn't think twice about getting it if I didn't already have this Quest version from Baby Gap:


I used a seam remover to carefully take off the rubber Baby Gap tag on the back of the seat. I could not find it on their website but it might be available at the store, if you are interested. Love the navy, white, green and periwinkle stripes.

Oh, and speaking of fish, and babies, let me share with you Pierce's favorite book to date:


This was a gift from a friend right after Pierce was born and
I read it to him almost every night for the first year. He has slowly destroyed his copy but I see that as a reflection of his love.

Available here on Amazon for $9.99

Okay, work to be done and I need to prepare for Jack's arrival. Have a great weekend!

Xo,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment