Sunday, July 31, 2011

Nesting

Last week my sitter asked to take the night off to go camping. Of course... that would be fine... do you actually sleep in a tent?

Good question.

As it turns out, no, she does not. Instead she sleeps in a hammock in a tree.

What??!!


(ENO Hammock- stands for Eagles Nest Outfitters- see all the info and more pics on their website here- only $55!)

"Yes," she explains, "it is very Swiss Family Robinson"

Okay, now she is speaking my language.


While "outdoorsy" is one of the last words I would use to describe myself, I have always been enchanted with the idea of, well, an enchanted forest. I've fantasized about living in a tree house ever since I saw that most memorable film. I might claim such dreams of dwellings were an early indication of my future career as a designer, though I suspect that everyone who saw this movie wanted to live among the tree tops.

Surely we could figure out a way to install central air.

While searching for photos of the Swiss Family tree house among many of the (somewhat disappointing) mock ups at Disney World, I was reminded of this Ewok Village toy my friend had when we were young.


Produced by Kennar in 1983 and available here on eBay, if you must.

I was never really into Star Wars. I think I was a little young for it and my older sister was not a huge fan, that I can remember. Though these were the days shameless gender-specific marketing. Chances are we did not get an R2-D2 figurine in our Happy Meal but a My Little Pony (also launched in 1983). Not that I am complaining.

My friend with said village had an older brother.

And I loved it. There was something magical about these little people and their special world.


Bright Tree Village, on the Forest Moon of Endor. Duh.

On Thursday night I learned of a company called Magic Cabin that sells beautiful wooden toys. You can imagine my delight when I went online and found this:



The Tree Fort, here. Costs around $250- the SAME as a new-in-box Ewok Village. Equal in value? You be the judge...

(I do so prefer wood toys to plastic.)

Oh, and rest assured city dwellers, we too can camp out in our concrete jungles.


Happy Monday!

Xoxo,
Jenny

2 comments:

  1. love!!!! how do I subscribe?? so I get an email when you post?? love and miss!!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi T! I think you can enter sign up by entering your email address at the bottom of the page. Not sure- my mom was trying to comment and had trouble figuring it out- they don't make it easy. So happy for you and your new addition. Love HIM! And glad you like the blog :)! xo

    ReplyDelete