Wednesday, July 27, 2011

In the field At Home


I need all the help I can get.
This classic is available here.

As you can guess, I am a sucker for home stores. While I don't usually buy anything, I always love to see who is selling what and any new products or lines I may have missed.

A fine example of one such store is Jetton Miller At Home in Sutton's Bay, Michigan:

Notice the sign on the far left, how conveeeenient...

Their selection is well chosen and diverse with a lot of great products for yourself and your host.


Gift giving is tricky, especially when it comes to hostess gifts. I don't want to force my style on anyone and resist giving items that are purely decorative or too individual, like scented candles. Edible or useful items make the best gifts, even if they end up being re-gifted.

I have no problem with the idea of re-gifting if the item is something you would actually give or something you think someone would enjoy (or find funny).

If I receive something I would never use or buy I will give it away or donate it.

While I usually don't give baby or wedding gift until the first birthday/anniversary (this is a problem- I am working on it), I really take great pride in the gifts I give.

Though if someone gives me beautiful soaps, and perhaps they were not the original purchaser, who cares? I would never presume that a gift was re-gifted, unless it is so hideous or out of left field that I can only HOPE that no one actually spent money on it with me in mind.

Please may I never give a gift that someone has to actually contemplate whether I have re-gifted or have no taste.

Okay, now that we have cleared that up, here are some favorite picks from At Home and a few other great hostess gifts for good measure.


While I love the selection of the Claus Porto soaps, I don't think the larger ones are very practical unless you would actually bathe with them or display them in their wrapper, but now we are decorating for our host and we are trying to avoid that. I prefer the smaller guests soaps in the upper right hand corner of my photo.



I try to avoid using the word "yummy" to describe anything but Pierce's food, but these remind me of a box of macaroons. And you can put one a few out for a party and then throw them away.



You can't go wrong with cheese and crackers, and who doesn't have room for another colorful cheese knife or two? Laguiole Cheese Spreader.

I first became familiar with this company when they were selling steak knives through Anthropologie. We did not have the drawer space to justify this purchase and they were a little too personal to give a few sets as a wedding present (I love them, but would they?). Happy to see that Anthro still sells a version.


Laguiole Steak Knifes, $78 here.

But back to cheese. A while back I gave this slate cheese board to some foodie friends who loved it. You write the name of the cheese in chalk.


$24.99 from Crate and Barrel, here.



I loved these plates, also from At Home, by Geri Mateus Studios. As you can see, I am all about the colors.

While foodies the world over have known about this forever, I only discovered this salt a few years ago and it has yet to disappoint:



I bought mine at Sur La Table for $10 then saw it at my grocery store for $7. It is available on Amazon here. Make sure to buy a box for yourself. The crystals kind of melt and you only need a pinch.

While this barely scratches the surface on all At Home has to offer, you can visit their website here for more of their products. Any favorite hostess gifts you would like to share? Please do!

Xox
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment