Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Brain food

Remember the recent shopping trip to Room and Board I mentioned? Well, en route to R&B we stopped in Marbles: The Brain Store, on Grand Avenue.


Have you heard of this place? I had, but had never been inside and was excited to see what all the hype was about.

I asked the sales clerk if they had anything for infants and she said that their youngest audience was roughly three years old.

Sorry Pierce, once again- no soup for you.


And yet, I just found this on their website. One of my favorite baby toys, as you might remember.

Marbles opened its first store in Chicago in 2008 and has opened a whopping seven more since then, throughout the Midwest, with another seven stores opening soon around the country. I am especially excited about the one opening in Braintree, MA. How could they not?


This is the kind of store you spend a lot of time perusing. It is actually encouraged. From colorful game to 3D puzzles to witty books, there really is something for everyone.


A selection of their games

Colorku, $34.99 available here

I am especially fond of this colorful take on the popular and addictive game Sudoku. My family turned me on to this game a few years ago- someone gave us each a Sudoku book for Christmas. I remember us all sitting around in our robes, silently concentrating on our own puzzles. Ah, family time.

With this version you use colors, not numbers. My temptation to buy it is being surpassed by Pierce's inevitable temptation to eat or hide all of the little marbles. Alas- a great gift for people without infant children. And so pretty.

Here is a sampling of their books. I detect a theme...


$21.99


$19.95


$14.99

Oooh- and something for the kiddies this babysitter would have been all over:
Charlie Harper coloring book, $6.95

One of the many great things about this is that illustrations are printed on only one side of the paper and the pages are perforated for easy removal and display-- a perfect layup for some really cool art. I remember taking such pride in my Baby-Disney themed coloring book renderings when I was young. This book would take our refrigerator-gallery to a whole new level of chic.

They also sell items from the fantastic Lego Architecture series, though I think you have to go to the store as they were not on their website.
Lego Willis Tower. You will always be the Sears Tower to me. Speaking of...


I recently saw a friend wearing this shirt. Here for $29

Lego Falling Water

Here is one of many interesting puzzles:

3-d Puzzleball Globe, $44.99

Funny, I just saw this over at my in-laws house. My seven and nine year old nieces were putting it together and it is so cool! A 3-d puzzle. What took so long-- or, should I ask-- where have I been?

What I did not realize at first, was that so many of these games are really intended to exercise specific parts of the brain. The website is arranged by Critical thinking, Memory, Coordination, Visual perception, and Word skills. It lists products for every thing from Stress Relief to ADD, Dementia and Brain Injury. Very heavy subjects so prevalent, widely discussed and hotly debated these days. Though you would not know that walking into the store. The mood is light, staff helpful and displays engaging.

Okay, HE has awoken and we are off on a walk.

Xo,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment