Sunday, July 17, 2011

Floridays



Yesterday I visited a shop in town owned by a family friend, Northport native and avid collector of, well, just about everything.

David Chrobak, the man behind the magic

He is in the process of selling the contents of his eccentric home at his store , also for sale, as he planning to move to Traverse City.


Notice the actual pot of gold. Yes, that is a toilet. And those are gold Christmas ornaments. For a better image, and if you are in the market... go here.

I love his shop, and photos can not do it justice. Here are a few highlights though only a small sampling off all it has to offer:


I actually quite like the chandelier. And who couldn't use a Beefeater bust?


For the vintage soap collector- we all have one of those...


Okay, at $20 (just about everything cost $20), I think Pierce needs this. Even though he can never play with it, let alone touch it.


You know I love my ladies in hats, though she does not really do it for me. Or does she?


While attending a smaller liberal arts college in Ohio, the Salvation Army was the best source for unique decorative items. Some friends collected images of the Last Supper, I am not sure if the collection is still in tact but if so, they need this piece.


How I loved my Cabbage Patch Kids. I guess this hungry girl was yanked from the shelves when she tried to eat her owners...

The pièce de résistance is this chandelier, a steal at $350, though it may have to be rewired:


From the Holiday Inn ballroom in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, circa 1970

My sister-in-law, the chef, has a sentimental attachment to this piece. It feels very Tony Duquette to me- how great would it be in his malachite dining room?


I am both devastated and relieved that she has no place for it in her house. Okay, relieved. And yet...

When she and her family moved into a new house a few years ago I helped them out a little with floor plans and paint colors. It was during this time that I learned about the 'Florida Room', as it was known by her parents and peers growing up in Michigan.

The Florida Room is basically a sun room, only better. Better if only because it is named after the state of Florida, of course. We have a running joke about things that would look great in our Florida Rooms and I often find myself giggling in stores just thinking about it.

A collection of framed shells- OBVI- Florida Room.

Anything bamboo or wicker, like this etagere I found, would be perfect for my Florida Room:


The list goes on and on...

Oh, and you can only imagine my amusement when skimming an article on Evelyn Lauder's Palm Beach house in the latest Harper's Bazaar I came across this image of her- wait for it- Florida Room! I wonder if she is from Michigan...

Photo by Douglas Friedman

Okay, back to work.

Xoxo,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment