Thursday, July 7, 2011

Shadow boxing

Vintage blocks, available here

A few weeks ago I went to Room and Board with a client. We have gone to nearly every furniture store in Chicago, it seems, trying to find the perfect sofa to avoid the custom route. But that's another story....

What surprised me about R&B was the abundance of clever and interesting art adorning their walls. I was particularly taken by these little shadow boxes with vintage toy blocks:


Aren't these fun? You can get them here, though I have to say, I was less than taken with the $219 price tag. Seems a little high to me. While I have not been doing many DIY projects lately, I think even I could whip something like this up if the right toy inspired me. And you know I love any excuse to break out my glue gun.


Ikea Ribba Frame, White. $9.99 here. Oh, sorry kids- looks like you will have to make the trek to the big box itself to buy- ugh. Okay, since that is just not happening lets see what Amazon can send me...
Score! Doodlebug Fashion Furnishings Shadow Box, 12" square, $15.99. Just a click away here.

As for the toys, check your grandparents basement or a vintage-y "antique" shop or thrift store. The toy sections in those store always make me kind of sad but the thought of giving them new life makes me happy, so we're even.

I was reminded of these blocks when I came across this CHARMING little guy while strolling the www. This looks easy enough, and I like that the toy has some personal meaning. Read all about him and his creator here.


This project by a Canadian-wonder-crafty couple also turned me on to these fun posters available here on Etsy. Now I know, I know, we can all go broke mucking up our children's walls with cutesy custom artwork, but this did make me laugh and it is not too "baby" (though you know I have NOTHING against baby). Might have to get this (or make my own!) for Mister Mister- aka- Pierce, lest we forget...


And look- it is also in the Ikea Ribba frame! We are so in sync.

Xxoo,
Jenny

1 comment:

  1. When I was pregnant with James I started collecting vintage toys. What a great idea to shadow box them! xo Samantha

    ReplyDelete