Thursday, July 21, 2011

Tick tock


Last week I asked my brother-in-law for some help with my Mac.
What was going to be a quick 10 minute tutorial turned into a 2 hour rehab of my entire operating system and the way I use and organize my computer.

And for that I am grateful.

So I am cleaning up my act.

And when I received something in my mailbox from GeorgJensen.com today I clicked the link only so I could unsubscribe. Until I saw this:


Faces and straps, available here.
(Though, really, $65 for a strap?)

Swept up in nostalgia, I could not possibly unsubscribe now.

I am pretty sure my first watch was a Swatch, to emulate my sister, and the trend sweeping the world in the 80's. Here are a few that look familiar:




Of course, why wear one Swatch when you can wear three? Or ten?

But at some point I took a page from my mom's book and bought a trusty Timex at Woolworth's with a striped strap from Smith's Men's Store in Lake Forest (sorry, no website).

The larger face of a man's watch not only looked good on my wrist but I love the touch of color on the strap and, as my mother always praised, the face was big enough to read easily.


Timex Easy Reader, probably $35 online though they are out of stock at the moment. A very similar style that includes the date is $40 here. The date, I find, really comes in handy and I catch myself checking it often.

This hipper, more retro/cool style is available through J.Crew, of course:


Timex, Vintage Field Army Watch, $150, here.

They have a selection of bands to go with it, as does Brooks Brothers.

But if you are really serious about this, lets stop wasting our time and check out J.Press, the last stop for proper, preppy attire:


I knew you wouldn't disappoint.

I am not quite sure why some cost $12 and others cost $29, but who cares. You like it you buy it, here.

When we were in Leland, last weekend, I saw the Slap watch in a little store along the water. Apparently I am really behind the ball on this one, as Ellen gave it away on her show and they a very extensive website.


Not only are they inexpensive, but the faces are interchangeable so the combinations are endless. You just have to buy more. See, here we go again...

I still associate slap bracelets with the urban legend (or truth) that they were pulled form the shelves after someone accidentally slit his wrists. These watches are rubber so that shouldn't be a problem.

And thumbs up to any product encouraging watch-wearing. Only after I started wearing one again, about a year ago, did I realize how often I would look at my blackberry to check the time and get distracted by an email or text.

Not with a watch, people. Not with a watch.

Xox,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment