Monday, October 24, 2011

Animal Kingdom

Growing up, my parents got creative when it came to our pets.

Sure, we had hamsters, like Nibbles, and countless goldfish, but we also had a duck, Quackers, and a french lop bunny named Flopsy.

I would spend my babysitting money on fish tanks, and cages for the various birds I brought home from Woolworth's.  I miss Woolworth's.  For a ten year old me, this store was Heaven.



Please tell me the name of a single store where I can buy a parakeet, pinking shearsPop RocksPeaches 'n Cream Barbie, and a can of Pssssst at the same time?  

Sorry, T&A, but you don't sell pets.

We did venture into the more "traditional' route with our allergy-friendly poodles, Kermit and Arthur.  Hair, not fur.  Ill trained and yappy, they assaulted our guests, annoyed our neighbors and wreaked havoc on the few rooms they were allowed to enter in our house.  But I needn't get into that here.  

Jack and I have no plans to adopt a pet any time soon.  Our first and only attempt, of the Chia variety, ended in disaster.  That being said, we have managed to amass quite a menagerie over the years...


This lion resided in my grandmother's living room.  I love his eyes.


Also of the feline family, and inherited, this Lalique cat sat on our back deck in our old apartment.  It now lives on our mantle, away from Pierce's grasp.


My dad picked up this well dressed pitcher on his trip abroad out of college.  It lived on his dresser, collecting change.



I could not resist this duck pitcher when I saw it a few years ago at Anthropologie, on sale.  I envision him as a planter, filled with Ivy.


We received this leather horse as a wedding gift.  His name is Poncho.
Someone needs to make these in other colors, like white or pink or green.  I'm looking at you, Jonathan.

Howdy was a gift for Pierce's first birthday.  Poncho hates Howdy.


  

The newest member of our family is this spectacular peacock lamp, a prototype that never made it to prime time.  I saw it while touring a lighting company's warehouse and was instantly taken with it.  With its fate unknown, they graciously gave it to me.

It needs a new shade or a lower harp, or something.  But I love him, and some day, he will be perfect for my Florida room.

Xoxo,
Jenny




No comments:

Post a Comment