Monday, October 3, 2011

Finders keepers

This weekend we went to the Design Harvest festival on west Grand Avenue.


We were, by all appearances, the first to arrive.


 One store I have passed but had yet to visit was The Find, the new city outpost of the Highwood shopping mecca one of my sisters-in-laws introduced me to a few years ago.

I was not disappointed...


Growing up in an age before hypo-allergenic pets, our family was forced to think outside of the box.  This door stop reminded me of Quackers, our duck.


This inspired vignette was one of many I encountered throughout the store.  I especially like that hutch-as-desk with the faux-croc chairs.  Trust me, it works.  And the dog.  I have been seeing quite a bit of these large ceramic animals lately...


Remember that estate sale I went to last weekend?  I asked where this giraffe was from and the woman told me "Winnetka".  Not exactly the answer I was looking for.  She then clarified that she thought it was Italian.



Lucite lovers


I was quite enchanted by this delicate brass bamboo Windsor chair, one of a pair.  


These would be perfect for the foot of our bed.  Makes me want to paint our room a dark emerald green...


Also loved the works by this artist though I forgot to note her name- Nancy, I think...  And those great shelves held up with rope... 


So perfect (-ly dangerous) for a playroom or beach house.


Jack is a big backgammon player.  I am getting better but plan to play much more this winter, cozied up in front of a fire.  This table is a tad big for our place but I was v. tempted by this number:


 Okay, I love the idea of walking around with a Lucite backgammon board briefcase filled with stacks of cash, gangster style.  No wait, even better: a gold fish swimming around inside. Someone please make this happen.

 


















Her favorite color is chrome.


Avid scouters of everything cool- the owners of this shop circle the globe shopping for the stores.  Where do I sign up?

After cruising through the tents we came across a few more cute shops.  


 When I saw this little love seat at SG Grand I was immediately trying to find a place for it in our apartment.  I love him (or perhaps it's a her?)  Oh wait... wait... what is THAT I see on the coffee table?


Penelope's Progress by Kate Douglas Wiggin

Never shy of judging a book by its cover- this one had to be mine.  $75 seemed a tad steep but I found it on eBay for $15.  Also available here for even less.

Oh tartan- how I love thee.  I want them all!

Lastly, I saw this Alphabet Series by Mark McGinnis across the room at Post 27 and thought it might be perfect for my friends' playroom.


Upon closer inspection, I think not.

Xox,
Jenny


No comments:

Post a Comment