Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Kit kat

I'm no boy scout, but as a designer, I learned early on the value of being prepared.  It is good practice to show up with a few supplies whenever a room or house full of furniture is being delivered to a job site.  

The perfect installation kit should include scissors, normal and heavy duty (in case you have to trim a rug pad), box cutters, Goo Gone, measuring tape, hammer and hooks for hanging artwork, Sharpies, harps for lamps in all sizes (buy in pairs!), furniture polish, furniture pads,  these little rubber feet that always remind me of this photograph by Man Ray:



Tears, 1930-1932

....and have provided countless seconds of entertainment while on the job, and my favorite Zenith Almond Stick:  


This miracle worker saved my sanity after a set of chairs were delivered with the legs covered in white scuff marks acquired in transit.  Things almost got ugly.  Almond Stick to the rescue!


I also like to bring an apron with pockets to carry whatever supplies are most necessary at any given time. Scissors, measuring tape and cell phone always.  And a notebook, if it fits.

As ours is a visual field, any old toolbox just won't do.  I am quite taken with those made by the Alice Supply Co.



Sturdy enough to hold up to the task at hand, pretty enough to keep on the shelf.  What clever products this company has, and I love that they are paying homage to the one and only: 


 These trusty bags are a great alternative for the less color-inclined:



 My handyman carries them, so you know they're legit.
I quite like this leather version, too.




But for now, I think I am going to use this vintage box by Hawthorne I picked up for $4 at that estate sale.  





(I am convinced the campaign for Pan-Am influenced my purchase)


It is unfortunate that "vintage" usually translates to "heavy" when it comes to luggage or I might have to bid on this smart nesting set that I think would coordinate with just about everything I own.


Lastly, when it comes to install day, remember that coffee for the crew goes a long way. Right Julie?

Xxo,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment