Thursday, October 20, 2011

Step off



(My other favorite wedge)


Last weekend I was strolling around the new Topshop when I spotted a girl in black suede round-toe wedge heels.  I usually have no problem complimenting strangers on their bags or shoes or dresses, and often they will tell me the source, which I think is a nice thing to do.

But I was racing out the door, and didn't stop to inquire, so I will have to start my search from scratch.

Perhaps these are them?  I'm not sure.  
I think the key is making sure the heel is wrapped in suede too.

A few weeks ago I mentioned that my winter uniform usually consists of black tights with patent leather heels. However, I developed a fondness for suede shoes a few years ago, when I saw a chic older friend of the family sporting maroon opaque tights with matching suede shoes. The matte of the tights with the matte of the shoe made her legs appear to go on forever (like a nude shoe against bare legs), and I instantly went out and bought a few of my own pairs, in varying heel heights, all in black.






Now that I think of it, I might attempt to sport the new shoes with my equally matte Lululemon pants that appear conveniently trouser-like when paired with a normal top (as opposed to a tank top and running shoes).

I like that the wedge is more casual, as sometimes a high heels feels a tad formal for daytime errands.  Also, in my experience, wedges are so much more comfortable than heels when you are walking any distance.

I have never really understood the upturned-sole thing but I kind of like these.  Update- said sole style is easier to walk in, my dear.  Still though, I'm concerned that the extreme platform might make me look, and feel, a bit silly...




So, I am on a quest.
A quest for the shoes that the girl at Topshop was wearing.  







I love Kate Spade, but I think my TS girl's were higher, if slightly chunkier?



If I really commit myself to the wedge, may need to invest in this pretty, pricey and practical number.  Not likely.  Though v. curious as to why Mr. L chose to call this snappy black style the endearing name of "Peanut".  It is hardly brown, cheap or salty. 



I quite like the subtle obscured-platform of this shoe, but have a general dislike of ankle straps, on me.  And hardware.  With a few exceptions:

Like the raddeling of spurs, the horsebits on these loafers alert everyone to my urban cowboy's arrival.

I actually have a pair of horsebits that were my Grandfather's- what a fun bracelet they would make!


Can I afford not to buy these

All of this feels like progress, too, as I developed a slight bias when I was in 7th grade.  My mom was driving me home from school and mentioned casually that she did not like the suede loafers I was wearing.  As my mother was not overly critical, I took this comment to heart and asked her to pull over on a bridge we were crossing.


In a dramatic act of solidarity (and littering), I threw the shoes into the ravine far below.  


Image via Google Maps

The scene of the crime.

Lets just hope mom approves this time, and my soon-to-be new shoes do not meet the same fate.

Xox,
Jenny



No comments:

Post a Comment