Friday, September 30, 2011

Back to black


When I was working in an office, around August I would tire of my colorful summer frocks and bring the occasional black dress or skirt into the mix.  Now that the weather has cooled, I am falling back into what has become my winter default.

While I love the changing leaves and harvest hues (I am an earth sign, you know) I have an aversion to anything "heathered" short of Jack's old grey Pringle v-neck:


(Ours is similar to this one, though lighter, with a hole in the elbow)

and, of course, these mean girls:



Sooo... when Jack Frost approaches, this ice queen turns to black.  At least to start.

As we all know there is one key to staying warm: layering.
I am a skirt girl and relished in the comeback of black opaque tight that enabled me to wear my skirts well into the dead of winter.  

image via Pinterest

I quite like this version by L'eggs.  They are available at any drug store and inexpensive so you don't have to feel guilty when you throw them in the dryer.  Though you shouldn't.  Though I do.


(Bring back the egg!)


(Edie rocked the black)

I would usually pair these with a black turtleneck.  


These are my favorites- perfect combo of stretch, softness and length.  Though sometimes the cut varies.  Be advised.


Quite tempted by this Bag-O-Turtlenecks...

(Who wore it better?)

This being the basis of my outfit, I would then pair them with anything from a colorful skirt to an ivory sheath dress to one of my many pairs of tartan pants.

And, of course, black patent heels.
Kate does it right with Karolina.

But for that brief time in the morning, in nothing but my tights and turtleneck, scrambling through the apartment in search of shoes or phones or coffee, I did feel a bit like Audrey, leaping and dancing about in Funny Face.


What better way to start the day?

Xox,
Jenny





No comments:

Post a Comment