Friday, October 7, 2011

Going Public


I was quite excited when I learned that Ian Schrager bought the Ambassador East. It has needed help for a while, to say the least.  I used to live two blocks away and worked next door, though despite its convenient location and legendary restaurant/bar The Pump Room, sometime ago it lost its luster.

I met friends at the bar for drinks a few times.   


I only darkened the door of the lobby to vote.

Now, back in the neighborhood, I am once again just blocks from the newly opened Public hotel. Half way between our apartment and the playground, Pierce and I decided to tuck in an check out Ian's newest baby on a pretty day last week.


It was love at first sight.





This striking installation of twinkling chandeliers greeted us upon entry.  


Here is the main lobby before:



While much of the architectural elements remain the same, the uba tuba had to go.


And NOW:





 







Complete with a communal computer desk, comfortable seating and polished stainless steel counters, I could happily hang here all the day long.  


Beyond the Lobby is what I like to call the 'game room':

Because of all of the games.  Seriously, Scrabble and Monopoly everywhere you look.  Loitering is encouraged.



The longest Chesterfield sofa I ever did see.




Two words: Flip Cup.




Before.




After!
Furry fun time in front of the fire.


For coffee or cocktails, the game room has no shortage of drink options.  Food too.



I am going to take a stab and say this is some sort of vintage karaoke machine.  
At least I hope so.





To the left of the lobby are stairs to the revamped Pump Room.  Starting with a swanky bar.



Then.


And now.



(I love the play of pickled wood with kelly green)


Beyond the bar, the striking new dining room.


What it was.


What it is!


Don't get me wrong, I have an affinity for brown wood and chintz and old stuffy decor.  The old hotel was tired and sadly past its prime.  This new space is, in a word: spectacular.



(The photos from the glory days line the street entrance vestibule of the restaurant.)


And, at around $200/night, you really have no excuse not to come visit.


Xox,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment