Thursday, October 6, 2011

An apple a day


(My brother and me at our Apple IIC, c. 1985)


(Pac-man!)

Yesterday at the farmers market I was lamenting what I fear is the demise of the Honeycrisp.  Yes, for the most part they have been good and crisp- but a few this season have been a tad too tart, or, dare I suggest, mealy.

Though I suppose this is the lifespan of an apple- they peak, get over-engineered and fall to the wayside of the next great apple.

I remember when the Red Delicious was really delicious.

The Golden Delicious was the standout during high school.  Between the dining hall and my sophomore dorm room was the infirmary and they always had a bowl full of apples.  I took one every time I passed by.

How long ago was it that we were relishing in the fame of the Fugi?

And the Pink Lady?

And the Gala?

Is the Honeycrisp passing its prime?  And what is the next apple darling of the farmers market going to be?

I was amused thinking that at least one apple has firmly established its place our lives for over two decades:


the Macintosh...

and was heartsick to learn last night that Steve Jobs had died.
I was surprised at how profoundly saddened I was by this news.  So this morning Pierce and I walked down to the Apple store on Michigan Avenue to pay respects to this remarkable man.


What an extraordinary and inspiring legacy he leaves behind.
My heart goes out to those who knew and loved him.

Xox,
Jenny




Photos: Dana Mondo

(The view from the outside and inside- hours later that afternoon)


(And again, a day later)

No comments:

Post a Comment