Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pumped

On Tuesday, Annie, Pierce and I went to breakfast at the newly refurbished Pump Room.

I had to run a quick errand first, and when I arrived they were waiting for me near our booth, chatting with a chef who was sitting nearby.  But not just any chef.



The chef- that even the other chef, Mario, hailed as the man who "invented America's answer to nouvelle cuisine".  Yes, Mr. Jean-Georges Vongerichten, who Ian Schrager brought in to revamp the Pump Room, sitting alone at a long table, preparing for the official opening day of the hotel and restaurant.

After breakfast I could not resist going and introducing myself to Mr. Vongerichten- who, my waitress had informed me, goes by Jean-Georges.  Whew!

He could not have been nicer, and we started talking about the fabulous hotel and what a gift it is to the city and especially the neighborhood.  

We cooed over 19 month-old Pierce (he has a grandchild around the same age) and I was about to leave until I thought to inquire about the day's activities.

Jean-Georges explained that the mayor was showing up any minute for a breakfast, and then there was an intimate dinner for 150, followed by a private party-- and would I like to come?


Why, I'd be delighted!

You know I love a party.

He suggested that I bring Pierce, while his aide scribbled down my name.


I informed him that Pierce would unfortunately be fast asleep come party time.

Later that night I convinced by brother to come with me, and zipped into a dress that my mom and I had uncovered in our family storage locker. Some mothers and daughters bond over lunch and shopping.  We go to our storage locker. 





William Travilla, aka, Travilla.  From I. Magnin.  





One of his more recognizable designs, I just learned.

The dress belonged to my grandmother and she wore it well into her 70's.  Now, while Granny was très chic, I had doubts that the dress would look so on me.  The stars were aligning-- it fit like a glove.  And, while its long black lacy sleeves were a bit confining, they felt very current.  





Don't you know.

Decked in black and gold, I arrived at the hotel with David by my side, and told the woman with the clip board my name.  She looked up apologetically and informed me that I was not on the list.

"Oh... well, I was just invited this morning."

"Who invited you?"

"Jean-Georges," I answered.  


She shot a quick look to her supervisor, who gave her a nod, and we were graciously invited in.

The party was a hit.  It was such fun discovering new things I had missed on my first visit, like this swanky lounge off the game room:

(Fully tufted sectional available here.  Who knew?)

When I arrived home, I found Pierce awake. I learned that he had woken up screaming soon after I left, and would not go back to sleep.


I suspect that he was furious to be left behind.

You know he loves a party, too.


Xoxo,
Jenny


No comments:

Post a Comment