Friday, September 2, 2011

Coiffed

Yesterday I was flipping through the stack of catalogues when I came across these images on the back pages of Anthro's:


I usually start somewhere in the middle with catalogues and magazines- or maybe back to front- never the other way around. I don't know. Keeps 'em guessing- or, er- keeps me guessing that maybe I have missed something for later. But I am getting distracted. Can we talk about the hair?


I love this look and it reminds me of how I wore my hair off and on for years (though not parted in the center).  While our model's, here, might be a tad horn-like, the style is soft and old fashioned and keeps the hair out her face without a more severe slick-back.

Let me digress...

Growing up I always wanted an older brother, but having a younger one had its perks.

There was a constant stream of men- no, boys.. males... coming in and out of our house and they were fun to talk to and not the least bit intimidating.  Of course not.  I had seniority--and happily, the affection was mutual.

I remember, though, that fateful time when I returned home from being away at school, when my bro and co had started at our local high school.  I heard laughter coming from the basement and swept down the stairs to see my boys.

They barely acknowledged my entrance.  Taller, hairier, and dressed like gangster lumberjacks, my fresh-faced fans had been replaced by these scruffy neanderthals.  Am I being dramatic?  Perhaps.  Or maybe it was just the contrast in their appearance to these ethereal, porcelain-skinned creatures doting on them in the shortest shorts I had ever seen.  

One wide eyed blond approached me and introduced herself.  I soon learned that she was dating my brother.  She wore her shiny golden locks pulled back loosely in a handful of these little butterfly clips:
 It looked so feminine and pretty I picked up my own clips the next time I was in town.  I think I started with butterflies but quickly moved to the more neutral clips below: 


These clips that hold orchids in place work well too, in a pinch:






I still have some, somewhere, I am sure, but have taken to wearing my sunglasses on my head to keep my hair back.  Like my watch, I feel naked without them.  You know I love me my Jackie O's but this has to stop- especially with the winter months approaching.

So I just bought a new batch of clips, here, and here (some sizes work better than others).  My hair is pretty long right now and I think this will be a nice change for fall... inspired by Miss Anthropologie, and those girls that stole away my boys' attention.

Xox,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment