Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Farmer's delight

This morning Pierce and I walked to the Green City Market in Chicago's Lincoln Park.  I love farmer's markets the way I love Whole Foods: I enjoy seeing and sampling everything but am unsure of what to buy, daunted by the idea of cooking, and usually leave spending three times as much as I had planned with barely enough ingredients to make a salad, let alone a meal.

I need a plan and never have one.

But that hardly keeps me away.  Often there is someone playing music and lots of children running around but with school back in session and the weather turning cool, Pierce was one of the only little ones afoot.  


I couldn't resist these Dahlias for a neighbor who brought me apples and peaches yesterday.  So nice!



I love the smell of fresh eucalyptus.


Pierce and I both went nuts for this arugula pesto and I am actually inspired to make some.  Not so inspired that I actually bought the ingredients- but I will... some day.  Soon-ish.  I think


My mom asked that I pick her up some "healthy" bread.  I bought the healthiest-sounding whole wheat/flax-seed/rye loaf, from Bennison's Bakery.



Pierce loves melon.  I learned all about the French "Savor" Melon when preparing for this photo shoot with my former boss, Alessandra Branca, at her fabulous New York apartment.


See the melons?  Sort of?  

I bought those melons.



On the loose!


The River Valley Kitchens mushroom booth is not to be missed.  Specifically the Five Cheese Garlic Spread.  Need I say more?



Nor is the Tiny Greens Organic Farm booth.  I used to stop at the market when I would ride my bike to work and would always get a shot of wheat-grass.  Never got used to the saccharine sweetness of it.


With barely enough room for the young lad and a light rain moving in, we strapped in and headed home.

Xoxo,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment