Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Jenny Brown asks... Samantha Thompson



Sam Thompson and I go way back.  When we met as teenagers she was designing dresses and skirts with her father's old ties.  Now she has her own line of cool/comfy/chic clothes that is making quite the splash around the globe.  I am so happy that she has seen her vision through and excited to see what she comes up with next.

 


What is your sign?
Leo.  Glaringly, obviously Leo.

Sibling? Sexes and birth order please...
Only child!  Also totally obvious.

What time do you set your alarm for in the morning?
8:30. 9 seemed too indulgent.

How do you take your caffeine?
Sinful Delight from Irving Farm Coffee Company around the corner from my apartment.  


Tiny bit of half and half and sugar in the raw.  Whatever happened to real cream?

What do you do?
I design and manufacture my own lounge wear line for women, LoungeLux.


(The pockets!  The sleeves!  The hood!  I'll take two, please.)

When did you know you wanted to do it?
My 8th grade yearbook lists my career aspirations as "either fashion designer or commodities trader"  That last part is SUCH a Chicago answer.  But really KNEW, knew?  Senior year of high school when I was sketching evening gowns in my European Civ textbooks.  The teachers were not happy.

What was your first job in your chosen field?
I did a summer internship for an old school Roman couturier named Fausto Sarli.  


Like Valentino, Sr. Sarli is one of the last "dolce vita" designers.  He used to walk around the workroom smoking and ashing in all the pin trays.  No one spoke English.  I knew about four word of Italian, one of which was “pin”.  Another important word was “wait”--it was an incredible education in taking your time and doing things the right way.  Mr. Sarli is one of the most talented designers of the 20th century and it was an honor to work with a legend.

What advice would you give to someone starting out?
Make your mistakes on someone else's dime.  Work for other people as long as you can possibly stand it.  And realize that sometimes the worst bosses are the ones that teach you the most.  Even if all you learn is what NOT to do.

Where do you find your inspiration?
I try to take elements of haute couture and the designer runway and incorporate them into what are basically very elegant tracksuits.  So, high fashion for sure, but also random things, like an old Three's Company


(Chrissy got to have all the fun)

and Golden Girl episodes.


(Blanche Devereaux would kill for this outfit.)

  There was a great article in Vanity Fair about Liz Taylor at a slimming spa that had photos of her in a red velour tracksuit.  


I want to blow them up and hang them all over my office. 


Which websites do you visit every day?
wwd, 
jennybrowndesigns
(Kuwait is one of my biggest markets and they are super fashion forward)

Also Lonny to get ideas for my new apartment.  
Am still in mourning for Domino and its resource filled website.

Page Six is a dirty little secret

I don't leave home without...

Tide wipes.  Am a DISASTER.

Blackberry (am on number 5, number four is on the bottom of the Panama Canal.  This one I got unlocked in Korea Town.  It used to add the Chinese country code to every number)

Goyard day planner.  I find the more obnoxious the accessory, the more I want to use it.  This keeps me on track.

Tiny little hair clips (clipped to bags, key rings, the edges of clothing and hiding in the bottom of bags.  What breadcrumbs were to Hansel and Grethel, these are to me.)  I believe you covered this.

My favorite places to shop, eat, travel:  

NEW YORK (home)

Shop:  Pixie Market on the lower east side has great un-discovered designers and tons of new stock.  It is super inspiring. 

Eat:  7th street between 1st and A has anything you could possibly be craving:

Pylos for Greek food like you would find in a chic neighborhood in Athens, without the rioting 
Butter Lane Cupcakes (way better than Magnolia and they even have classes.) 



For unparalleled swankiness, I love Casa Lever with its enormous Warhols.


Bemelman’s Bar for the murals

JAIPUR

The Gem Palace for jewelry.  They were court jewelers to the maharajahs and Viceroy Mountbatten.  It’s an 8th generation family business.

Hot Pink for European designers working in local techniques.  Great tote bags, scarves and clothing. 

NAPLES

Ciro Ricci on Vico Belledone a Chiaia was Jackie O’s favorite sandal store, they have all of the skins hanging on the wall and will custom make any design),

LONDON

Liberty, especially the fabric and home department.  They just did a sick Nike collaboration.

The Churchill War Rooms is my favorite museum- small and intimate and timeless. They also have a fabulous gift shop. 



 My boyfriend got me this Ration Card Apron.  I think it was a hint . . . 

Also, you can’t miss Persephone Books. They feature wonderful out of print writers, especially women, and all of their books have endpapers and bookmarks done in vintage wallpaper prints.  Sign up for their catalogue, it’s the most charming thing to get in the mail since J. Peterman was at its height.


(Them's fightin' words)

MEMPHIS


Graceland—very Kelly Wearstler, a must for every interior design buff.   


Elvis and his entire family are buried in the back yard.


A. Schwab’s Dry Goods on Beale Street is a 5 and 10 on acid.  They have the best $2 tank tops, I stock up whenever I’m in town.


Possibly the best bar in America (with apologies to Chicago’s Zebra Lounge) 


has got to be Ernestine & Hazel's which serves late night “soul burgers” and is in an old brothel that they basically haven’t even repainted since it was shut down.  There’s an old claw-foot bathtub in the bathroom.  You get the idea. 

Shameless plug- go for it!

LoungeLux's loungewear is for anyone looking for a down-time option a little more pulled together than old yoga pants and a tank top.  Not that there’s anything wrong with that.  It happens.

We are going to be featured in the Neiman Marcus Christmas Book, which launches in October, and online here and here

We are also available at the Julian Gold stores in Texas.  





(And how could I not include this?  A lifelong lover of tracksuits- Ms. Thompson knows her velours)
.........

Thank you Sam!  May need to schedule a trip to NY just to check out all of those places... not to mention Jaipur.  How have I not been to Graceland?  A crime, I tell you!

Add it to the list...

Xox,

Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment