Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Jungle boogie

Please forgive the spotty posting- things are especially busy and I don't see them slowing down for the next couple of weeks. 

Onward.

I just hung Pierce's new (old) shower curtain in his bathroom.  


My mom had this made when I was a baby.  She saw the fabric in the window of a design store and instantly fell in love with it.  We grew up with it in our bathroom- the kids' bath- with matching curtains (with wide matching tie-back, of course).

We discovered the shower curtain in a box at storage months ago and then thought of it when deciding what to do for Pierce's new bath.

It is so fresh and happy and works well off of his pale blue bedroom.

The only glitch was some stains on it that I discovered in the lower corner.  I first tried Oxi Clean, to no avail.  






I suspect the stains I was fighting set before this stuff existied.  


I then looked online for at home stain removal tips and was very excited that this could be my first DIY post.  Unfortunately, when I attempted to Do It mYself with the contents of my kitchen cabinets I had less than stellar results and took the shower curtain to the nearest dry cleaner, sopping wet.


(A few years ago CK Bradley came out with a cheery jungle pattern- now only available on eBay.)

He was very discouraging.  I had been warned that this particular cleaner could be a bit of a grump and indeed he was.  Yelling at me when I first walked in because my bag was dripping (sorry!) and then, upon looking at the stains, yelling that I should throw the curtain away, as I could buy the same thing at Target for $15.

He didn't get it. And when I asked how much it would cost for him to wash and press the curtain he said $15, up front.

I left with wet curtain in hand.

Photo by Sang An

(The wallpaper in this room by Jonathan Adler Always reminded me of our shower curtain.  The paper was designed by artist Cary Leibowitz)

I went to another cleaner a block away where the nice woman behind the counter said that they would try to remove the stains and promised to do the best she could without damaging the curtain.

She had a little tea cup poodle who played with Pierce.

When I asked how much it would cost to wash and press the curtain she told me $15.  Sold!

Pressed and clean, with still minor stains barely visible in the corner, the curtain looks so bright and cheery in Pierce's new bath.  I love it.

Not sure what to do with the curtains for the window but may make a roman shade out of them as they do not fit the window properly.

Perhaps that will be my first DIY.

No promises.

Xox,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment