Monday, September 12, 2011

Sunny side up

This morning kicks off the first Monday in our new apartment- yay!

To celebrate this momentous occasion, and for lack of breakfast appropriate foodstuffs and coffee, Pierce and I decided to stroll down the street to the 3rd Coast for breakfast.


This restaurant has a very special place in my heart- when I was commuting to this neighborhood from our old apartment for work I would stop in here daily for my extra foamy lattes.  Not only were they cheaper than you know who, but there was never any line.  And after about a week I realized that I could call in my order.  Yes.  It was waiting for me in all of its frothy glory- perfect for the perpetually rushed moi.

And I love a good diner. 


This is a new thing for me.  I was always a cereal girl and nothing was more disappointing to me than the "breakfast for dinner'' themed nights they would occasionally have in the cafeteria during college.

I believe pancakes and bacon should only be served between the hours of 12am-12pm.

(I do love my midnight breakfasts.)

Last winter Jack and I started our own diner tour of Chicago, when Pierce was finally on solid foods.  While he was barely big enough to sit in the highchair, we quickly discovered that this was the perfect family dining adventure and soon enough my sister was in on the tour.  Every Sunday morning we went to a new diner, many of which I had passed countless times, and would rate them on food, service and decor, of course. I always order the same thing- egg white omelet with onions, broccoli, mushrooms and feta.  This was a controlled study.


(Our tour was born from my burning desire to try out this cheerful little place between our old apartment and the grocery store)

No notes were ever kept, just a fleeting memory that I now recall when passing said establishment: "smelled funny", "good food/bad service", "Pierce made an exceptional mess", and the like.

We have been to the 3rd Coast before and will surely be back.  They always feature a different local artist and it is where I discovered photographer Ana Miyares during my call-in-latte days, and my friend Josh Moulton's work was featured there.

I am so excited about our new neighborhood, and the many new diners that await us!

Xoxo,
Jenny





No comments:

Post a Comment