Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Something fishy

Image via Pinterest

Just in time for fall...

So after a busy day of work and preparing for the move, Pierce and I went out to run errands and found ourselves in the neighborhood affectionately known as Boys Town.  It was around dinnertime and I decided we should try someplace new as chances are we won't be visiting the 'hood often once we move.

I was considering an Indian restaurant I have walked by only a million times even though it sounded a tad risky with Pierce's 18 month old palate.  And messy, in a sauce-y sort of way.  Then I came upon this little storefront.



Rollapalooza- love the local shout out.  And the swanky ride.  That reminds me- it's BYO, in case you didn't notice...  Hours and menu here.

Sushi?  Messy, sure, (isn't everything?) but in a sticky sort of way.  I will take white rice in the hair over curry any day of the week.  So we entered in... 



My love affair with sushi began some time in high school and then really took off in college.  One summer I had an internship in Chicago and took the train downtown, from the suburbs.  It was 1999.  Every evening my mom would pick me up from the train station and we would call our local sushi restaurant on her car phone.  


(I will always love you most.)


By the time we made it across town to pick it up, the sushi would be ready, and then we would cross the street so my mom could pick up her dinner:



It is all about the portion control.  And the nuggets.

To say my mother is not a sushi fan is an understatement.  She finds the stuff repulsive, and would say so, inevitably, every night, just as I would complain that I had, once again, ordered too much and felt slightly sick.

Our little ritual.

Pierce is turning out to be quite the little sushi-lover himself.  He stuck mostly to the veggie roll, seaweed salad and this delicious black rice they had:


I am wary of sushi rolled in brown rice after it has ruined one too many rolls.  This black rice, though, was sticky and sweet and a little harder than white rice but I think it would taste great on a roll.

I did give Pierce a piece of salmon but it ended up on the floor, like most of his meal.  Oh, and he loved the oshinko.  Who knew?

To top off the meal I ordered a a piece of Mochi for us to share.  



Please tell me you have tried Mochi and if you haven't, please click here to find where you can get some.  I like Mango the best but these adorable little rice covered balls of frozen sweetness are good in any flavor, though my mother might disagree...


I am telling you, people, portion control.

Xox,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment