Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Bowl cut


David Lory works his magic

Another favorite spot in Michigan is the Tamarack Gallery, located in Omena and online here.


There are so many cool things in this store that I can't cover everything in one post. So let me begin with the first objects of my desire.

On my initial trip to the gallery few years ago (while we were waiting for a table at The Knot across the street) I fell in love with these beautiful wooden bowls made by David Lory.



They are incredibly smooth, unusually thin and impossibly light- an extremely refined version of your average wooden salad bowl. Read all about David's painstaking process here.


They aren't cheap, with the smaller sizes costing around $100 and the larger ones between $250-$400, but they are so worth it.

You can imagine my delight when we received a medium sized bowl as a wedding present. I think serving pieces make the best gifts because they are so useful and you can never have enough.


My mom has a collection of beautiful wooden salad bowls, and when I first moved back to Chicago we would make caprese salads with little mozzarella balls and chopped grape tomatoes, putting each serving in its own big bowl. There is something very dramatic about this presentation- the red, white and green of the salad complimenting the patina of the wood.

I would love to amass a collection of these David Lory bowls and use them at a dinner party- they would look so good around the table-- each place set with a unique bowl-- and would also be great at a buffet because they are so light.

Some day.

Oh, and speaking of serving pieces, I didn't want to mention this in my earlier post and ruin the surprise but I bought this charming platter for my in-laws as a "thank you" for hosting us for the last month+ and they loved it!


Platter by Geri Mateus Studio

Oh, the gift of giving.

Okay, I have work to do and the family is starting to arrive!

Xoxo,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment