Thursday, August 11, 2011

Nature walk


(I see you!)

Speaking of butterfly gardens, this morning Pierce and I actually went to one: the Judy Istock Butterfly Haven at the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum in Lincoln Park.


Everything you need to know, here.

Pierce is down to one nap a day now, usually after lunch, and he is so mobile so we need to get out of the house in the am, if we can. Thus, these posts are going to start coming a tad later, unless I have a sitter or get myself out of bed before he wakes, which is ultimately my goal. As is his sleeping until 7am.


See? Mobile.

So, we took advantage of the glorious day and strolled down to the museum. I have driven, biked, run, and walked past this place at least a hundred times and have never once darkened the door. If you have young children and have not been here, you should go. And, I discovered, if you go on a Thursday and are an Illinois resident, admission is free.


My water baby kept trying to climb in the pond. I think he was going for the change. Thata boy.

I would recommend going early. We arrived at 8:57am and the doors opened at 9. I didn't know what to expect but the man at the desk suggested we go to the butterfly haven before the "groups" arrived. So we did. Butterflies everywhere! Pierce loved it and we had the place to ourselves for most of the time, which was nice.


Friends don't let friends steal butterflies.
Though two ladybugs may or may not have tagged along with us...

After the butterflies we strolled though the rest of the museum.

Have I told you about my slight bird obsession? Specifically, my tweety bird obsession? It took everything in my power not to purchase this gem at Home Goods two days ago:


Then, today, I came across this. Clearly, I have found my people:


I took Pierce out of the stroller three more times to splash in the RiverWorks exhibit and play in the Hands-on Habitat play area. We also walked along the Micole Birdwalk and perused the well-stocked gift area.


On the birdwalk- boardwalk- Beaches- Bette Midler/Barbara Hershey combo- Best. Casting. Ever. Can't resist:


(Blossom!)

We were in and out in an hour- perfect.

As I was walking through the park home I came across a favorite restaurant that I haven't been to in years, North Pond.

Image via Stay.com

Jack and I went there on one of our first dates and I once took my mom there for a very memorable brunch for Mother's Day. They have a wonderful seasonal menu and the location is second to none. I checked and they serve brunch on Sunday- a perfect post-museum stop for a mimosa and a bite that will guarantee a nice long afternoon nap for the whole family.

Xoxo,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment