Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Stage 2

So, the stager was great.

Not only do I think we improved the space, but he also loved all of my things and it was actually kind of fun. Also, he reminded me of one of my new favorite characters:

He kept asking me where all of my bling was- “bring out the bling!"

I have bling. I love bling. I just thought I was supposed to put it all away. Oh no. Artfully placed accessories are the key to a finished space.

Yes, I know this, but for a showing? Isn’t this considered “junking it up"?

I guess it isn’t. Only time will tell. So crystal vases, my grandmother's random Lalique cat, colorful votives, silver platters and footed porcelain bowls with no clear purpose are now front and center.

Also- plants.

I knew this! And am slightly annoyed that my agents didn’t bring this guy in sooner. Why didn’t they tell me to get plants? I asked about plants and was told weren't necessary. And I was worried they would die when we were away, like the time we left for a week for a family wedding and returned to find our only pet, and plant (at the time), Chia Tweety, with a nest of grey/green dead ‘hair’.

Available here

It looked like Medusa and was so terrifying I had to pitch the whole thing.

Well, the obvious solution to this is FAKE plants, Dummy.

Really?

Yes, nobody cares. And try to stick with greens- resist the flowers.

So when I found myself at Home Goods a half an hour after he left, I grabbed an armload of 'plants' in the least offensive containers I could find and dashed out the door, $100 lighter. (There must be a less expensive source for fake plants but I was rushed, as we had a showing today).

He also moved the LOVE pillow to the bedroom. But isn't that cheesy? He gave me a look and I answered my own question- no cheesier than having a love pillow on my sofa. And it brought out some of the pink from the painting above our bed.

When I moved in, a framed copy of Jasper John's American Flag hung above the bed.

Then it moved to the Office. Now is lives in storage, and the butterfly garden painting hangs in it's place. I think it is okay for master bedrooms to be a little more feminine, and they often are. Perhaps because they feel very restful, like a sanctuary. Here are a few good examples from HB:

Photographed by Pieter Estersohn. Designed by Amanda Nisbet.

Photographed by Don Freeman. Designed by Robin Bell, Lake Bell's mother. We use the same upholsterer in NYC. She is a lovely woman.

Photograph by Simon Upton. Designed by Meg Braff.

Not sure if the butterfly painting will stay in our room after the move, but it looks good for now, especially against the walls in another Farrow and Ball color, a little lighter and greener than the Pale Powder, called Pavilion Blue:

Okay- I promise this is beautiful in person. And in a room with natural light. Otherwise it looks a tad too yellow, as it does here. Two words: Sample pots!

Such simple improvements that get lost among the huge heave-ho that happens before every showing.

All in all, it was a success. We hung a bunch of art and mirrors that I had put away, and added little decorative touches that I would have done on my own had our place not been on the market. I thought people wanted sterile. I guess clean, accessorized and green is more accurate. At least according to my Cam. A fresh set of eyes, indeed.

Oooh- just got a text from our agent- "showing went well- were in there for 20 mins- place looked good".

Fingers crossed.

Xox,

Jenny


No comments:

Post a Comment