Thursday, August 18, 2011

Morning glory

Photo by Claire Fox

One morning in Michigan the camp held a Polar Bear Club event where the campers swam out to the large raft at 6:30am.

Pierce, like me, appears to be a morning person.

So at 6:15, after his bottle, we headed to the beach and walked out to the little raft. Okay, he only walked for a little bit, then I carried him.

Why I even bothered with the life vest is beyond me, clearly he would not be out of my reach. But it was early. Safety first.

I went away at fifteen to a boarding school overlooking the ocean. When I first arrived, someone organized a similar Polar Bear swim and I met with some of my classmates, all of us virtual strangers, at 5:30 am, I think, (or whenever we were allowed to leave campus in the morning), for a dip in the freezing cold water.

It only lasted a couple of days, for me at least, but I won't forget that memorable and terrifying time in my life. I think that must be true for anyone starting at a new high school-- I can almost taste the combination of fear and anticipation from those first days--and am so excited for our nieces who are doing just that in a few weeks.

(As card carrying members, Pierce and I might just have to continue the tradition this week.)

Lastly, a little more press for our beloved Michigan.

Most beautiful!?

Even I'm blushing.

Xoxo,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment